Tuesday, September 4, 2012

DIY Designer Toys

Mega Munny stands at 18in tall!
I am a huge fan of kidrobot.  In fact, my dream is to one day open a boutique where all I sell is kidrobot, tokidoki, Sanrio (Hello Kitty), and friendswithyou stuff alongside art supplies, art, and manga.  It would be the coolest store on the face of the Earth.  I would cosplay everyday and encourage my workers to do the same...just because we freaking can.

But that's beside the point.

One of the coolest things kidrobot has to offer is their Do It Yourself Toys.  Their Munnies and Dunnies are actually what introduced me to their brand in the first place.

 
The ever popular Dunny
So many artists have taken these blank canvas vinyl dolls and made beautiful and amazing artwork with them (that sells from anywhere between $40 to $400 or more).

The coolest part is that the models these artists use are completely accessible to you and me.

They come in various sizes and styles and varying prices.  You can decorate them using any medium you choose; markers, paint, pen...crayons.  Some artists even alter the model by adding to it with modeling or polymer clay.  

The possibilities with these figures are endless and when you're done you're left with a true work of art you can cherish always.

I think this is a great activity to do with kids because they can make their own, unique characters with their own personalities--instead of playing with Elmo or Dora like every other kid on the block (not that I have anything against Elmo or Dora, but you see what I'm saying)

I probably wouldn't recommend this project for younger kids or toddlers because the figures can be a bit pricey.  But, if you have a creative, artistic kid in need of an outlet--or a moody teen you're trying to reconnect with this might be a great project.  You can either work together (might be a good idea when working with the younger ones), or let your child go for it all on their own.  Or you could even make your own character to play with your kid's character.

There are a lot of cool characters you can choose from:






The 4in models (or Mini) cost $9.95
The 7in models cost $19.95
And the 18in models cost well over $200 (needless to say this option is probably not the best for a kid's project)

I think the 7in and mini models are well worth the price.  Just think of all the possibilities!  Instead of buying a bunch of mainstream toys, perhaps your child will want to start a collection of these guys.  And why not?  They foster creativity, individuality, art skills (which are extremely under appreciated in the US, in my opinion), and--just look at them!  They're awesome!

If you're interested, check out kidrobot's site to find out where you can buy them or to order online.

Man!  Now I'm itching to make my own!




No comments:

Post a Comment